How to Setup Netscape Composer
This tutorial will guide you through configuring Netscape Composer
so that you can move files between your computer and your Server101 web site. You'll need to be online
and have Netscape Composer ready to go.
Making a Web Page
So that you can put a HTML page on your (Server101) web site using Composer,
you need to make (create) a page.
To make a page with Composer, follow these steps:
Publishing the Page
- Open Composer, select "File", "New", "Blank Page"
- Type in " This is a test "
- Select "File", "Save As", and name the html file on your (local)
hard disk drive
(If the file is going to be your homepage, call it index.html)
- When you have saved the file to your (local) hard drive, you are ready
to publish the file
Select "File", then "Publish".
The "Publish Files" dialogue box will open, and look similar
a/ Enter these settings in the Publishing
Location part of the window:
Upload Files to this Location:
Username: Insert your Server101 MemberName here
Password: Insert your Server101 password here
b/ If you like, you can save your password so that you
don't have to enter it every time you log in. If you would like to enable
this feature, check the box marked "Save Password".
c/ Put the Page Title at the top of the window, and the
When you have finished entering these settings, click "OK",
and you will connect to Server101. The Security
Information box may open, if it does, just click "continue", and your
file will upload.
(i) HTML Filenames are case sensitive
- We suggest you upload your files in lowercase only
- When you write your html files, be sure to refer to any image
or other html files in lowercase also
(ii) MemberNames and Passwords are case sensitive
- If you signed up with Server101, and chose a log-in name of Joe (with a capital J), typing
joe (with a lowercase j) into the MemberName when you publish would not work. The same
is true for passwords.
In the lower half of the "Publish Files" dialogue box above, you'll
see a section titled "Other files to include".
Viewing Your Web Page
- Click on the radio button marked "Files associated with this page",
if your page includes images or other files, such as midi or wav
- The radio button marked "All files in pages folder" is a handy feature.
If you have more than one html file (web page) you can keep them
all in one folder on your (local) hard drive, and check this button
to configure Composer to upload all the pages at once.
To see the page you just uploaded, use the following URL in your
http://membername.server101.com/filename (available about an hour after joining)
Return to the FAQ and Tutorials Main Menu
- Substitute MemberName with your Server101 MemberName
- Substitute filename with the name that you gave your file.
(If you named your file index.html, then you only need to enter the URL as follows:
or http://www.server101.com/~membername/ )